Vegan Swedish meatballs made from white beans and mushrooms covered in a rich creamy gravy. Serve it on whole-wheat pasta or change it up and try it on mashed potatoes. Either way would be delicious for this rich, indulgent dinner.
How to Sauté Oil-Free
I’m not completely oil-free, but I like to sauté without oil. I warm up my pan before adding the onion, then lower the heat so it doesn’t burn. The onion will release water to help, but you’ll need to add a tablespoon of water or vegetable broth to the pan to keep the onion from sticking and burning. Only add a tablespoon of liquid at a time so you don’t boil the vegetables.
How to Make Vegan Swedish Meatballs
Sauté the onion, mushrooms, and garlic with a pinch of salt (more detailed instructions below). Set aside the skillet to use later. Add the mushroom mixture along with great northern beans, bread crumbs, vegan Worcestershire sauce, dried rosemary, dried sage, allspice, pepper, and salt (to taste) to a food processor. There’s sodium in the Worcestershire sauce so you might not desire any extra salt. If you can’t find vegan Worcestershire sauce it can be substituted with tamari or soy sauce. Stopping to scrape down the sides. Then form golf ball size balls, I get about 24 meatballs. For oil-free, bake at 375 F (190 C) on parchment paper or a silicone mat for 35 minutes.
In a glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the corn starch and some of the vegetable broth. This will thicken up your gravy. Reuse the skillet from the mushroom mixture, there’s no extra dish and you can deglaze the pan to get all those flavor bits into your gravy. Add the vegetable broth/corn starch mixture, the rest of the vegetable broth, and all the other ingredients (except the pasta) to the skillet. Shake the can of coconut milk before adding it to the skillet to help blend the coconut cream and milk that separates. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to low. The corn starch will thicken and the cream from the coconut milk will melt. The gravy should coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the mushroom meatballs and pasta into the gravy for them to get nice and coated. Then gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
Then enjoy a big bowl of comfort!
Adapted from Tasty One-Pot Vegan Swedish “Meatball” PastaPrint
Vegan Swedish meatballs made from white beans and mushrooms covered in a rich creamy gravy. Serve it on whole-wheat pasta or change it up and try it on mashed potatoes.
- 1 onion (diced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (or tamari or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 can (14 ounces) full fat coconut milk unsweetened
- 2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (or tamari or soy sauce)
- 1 ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta
Make the beanballs
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the onion and mushrooms for 10 minutes, with a pinch of salt (adding a tablespoon of water or broth at a time if the onions stick), then add the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 more minutes or until the mushrooms have reduced in size and browned. Set the skillet aside to use later.
- Add the mushroom mixture, beans, bread crumbs, vegan Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, sage, allspice, salt, and pepper to a food processor and blend until the beans and mushrooms are finely chopped and everything is combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Roll the mixture into 24 meatballs about the size of golf balls. Bake on a silicone mat or parchment-lined baking tray for 35 minutes.
Make the Gravy
- While the meatballs are baking cook the pasta according to the package’s directions.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup whisk the corn starch into a 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and set aside. Add the 2 cups of vegetable broth and the rest of the gravy ingredients (except the corn starch mixture and pasta) to the meatball skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, whisk in the corn starch mixture to thicken, stirring occasionally. Using a wooden spoon scrape off the cooked-on bits from the bottom of the pan from the mushroom mixture (there’s flavor in those bits). The gravy should be thick, creamy, and able to coat the back of a spoon. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Stir in the mushroom meatballs and pasta into the gravy for them to be nice and coated.
Adapted from Tasty One-Pot Vegan Swedish “Meatball” Pasta
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop, oven
- Cuisine: Swedish
Keywords: vegan swedish meatballs no oil