This is a quick and easy weeknight pasta recipe that makes a lot of food. I usually make this dish and my family will have leftovers for a couple of days. It is also an easy way to get a lot of vegetables in one meal. It will feed a crowd, but if that isn't necessary you can cut the recipe in half.
The sausage is optional to add to the dish, but the pasta is just as delicious without it. I do recommend adding the vegan parmesan when you serve it. Sprinkle about a tablespoon on top of each serving and it adds a parmesan consistency with a touch of sweetness to the dish.
I use a frozen vegetable mix that has broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Fresh vegetables would also work great in this dish, but my goal was to limit work in the kitchen (hence the no chopping). My plan for this recipe was for a super easy and pretty quick dish that I can make on those nights that I really don't feel like cooking.
The vegan pasta dish also works great for leftover vegetables you have in the refrigerator or freezer. In the summer months, I freeze zucchinis and red bell peppers from my garden. Then throughout the year, I have vegetables to toss in the pasta dish for some added variety.
I also freeze leftovers from my slow cooker marinara sauce recipe and thaw a couple of jars the day before I plan on making this. Store-bought sauce also works great when you need a quick meal and couldn't plan in advance.
This quick and easy pasta recipe has been kid-approved in my house!Print
Simple pasta dish loaded with vegetables.
- 16 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta
- 12 ounces vegan Italian sausage links (sliced into coins)
- 2 (24 ounces) jars of marinara sauce or 5-6 cups of homemade marinara sauce.
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- Vegan parmesan
- *Allie’s tip: since we’re not using oil, if ingredients stick in the pan, try adding a couple of tablespoons of water or vegetable broth to the pan.
- Add the sliced sausage it to a dry sauté pan and stir so it browns on all sides.
- Start your uncooked pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
- When the sausage is lightly browned add the frozen broccoli/cauliflower blend. Cook until the vegetables are heated through and start to brown.
- When the vegetable mix is done cooking add the frozen corn and spinach to the pan. Place the lid on the pan for the spinach to steam and wilt.
- Occasionally stir everything to make sure it cooks evenly.
- When the pasta is done drain it and add it back to the pot.
- Add the vegetable mixture and the two jars of marinara sauce to the pot with the pasta. Heat on low to warm up the pasta sauce. Occasionally stir to help the sauce warm up.
- When done, dish up and serve with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan on top.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kid friendly vegan pasta recipes