This banana steel cut oats recipe uses over-ripe bananas for a naturally sweet breakfast. We add ground cinnamon and vanilla for flavor, then milk to make it creamy.
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional if you need it sweeter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- More bananas
- Fresh berries
- Ground flaxseed
- Cocoa powder
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Mash the bananas really well in a bowl.
- Then transfer to the instant pot along with all of the other ingredients (except toppings) and stir really well.
- Move the valve to seal.
- Set the instant pot to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes, turn off the keep warm function, (it will take around 10 minutes to come to pressure).
- Once the timer goes off and the oats are done, let the instant pot naturally release for 15-20 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- When the oats are done, they will probably have some liquid separation, just stir the liquid back into the oats. As the oats cool they will thicken up.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
- Let the leftovers cool before refrigerating, then store them in an airtight container for about 4-5 days.
Use steel-cut oats, not quick-cooking or rolled oats.
Cinnamon likes to stick to the walls of the instant pot, stir well. When done stir back in any cinnamon clumps.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- time to come to pressure/depressurize: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot banana oatmeal, banana steel cut oats, vegan steel cut oats