These treats are sweetened with ripe bananas and maple syrup for a delightful soft banana nut oatmeal cookie.
- 2 very ripe medium bananas mashed (about ¾-1 cup mashed)
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats (divided (old-fashioned oats))
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Mash the two bananas really well in a large bowl.
- Then add the maple syrup and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Grind up ¾ cup of rolled oats into a fine powder in a blender or food processor, for about 10-20 seconds.
- Mix together the oat flour, the rest of the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and walnuts in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and stir to combine.
- The dough will be wet, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of batter per cookie onto a lined baking tray. Then use the back of a fork to lightly flatten the dough and use slightly damp hands to shape it into a cookie shape.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes, or until the tops of the cookie are firm. If your mashed bananas only came to ¾ cup, check for doneness at 13 minutes. If using parchment paper, they brown more so check them for doneness around 13 minutes.
- Store your cookies for a couple of days covered at room temperature, up to a week covered in the fridge, or freeze them for later.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make breakfast cookies, banana oatmeal cookies, vegan oil free oatmeal cookies, banana nut oatmeal cookies