This microwave hot cocoa is rich, dairy-free, and simple to make. It only requires 3 ingredients and 5 minutes to make.
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sugar
Method 1 Microwave:
- In a microwave-safe mug or glass measuring cup add the milk, cocoa powder, and maple syrup.
- You can lightly whisk everything together, but the cocoa powder will not mix well in cold milk, so heat it up! (You can also warm the milk for 1 minute then whisk in the cocoa powder and maple syrup, then continue with 30-second increments until hot).
- Heat for 1 minute, then 30-second increments until you get your desired temperature. Mine is usually ready after a total of 90 seconds. Stir everything in between the increments to help combine everything.
- When your desired temperature is reached, whisk the milk mixture again until the cocoa powder is thoroughly mixed in.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Method 2 Stovetop:
- Warm the milk in a pot on the stovetop to be hot but not boiling (steaming and tinyl bubbles around the edge).
- Then whisk in the cocoa powder and maple syrup (or sugar), stirring occasionally until combined
See the blog post on ways to enhance hot cocoa.
Adjust the sugar to suit your preferences.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: microwave, stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: microwave hot cocoa, 3 ingredient hot cocoa