This creamy potato curry with coconut milk is filled with potatoes, peas, greens, and a combination of delightful spices. It’s oil-free, vegan, and naturally gluten-free.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) full fat coconut milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1.7 pounds (770 g) potatoes, 3/4 inch diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Measure out the curry powder, salt, garam masala, ground ginger, and ground red pepper into a small bowl.
- Sauté onions with a pinch of salt in a large pot until they are translucent and starting to brown. For oil-free cooking, add a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth as needed so the onions don't stick to the bottom of the pot. Otherwise use a neutral-tasting oil.
- Then add the crushed garlic to the onions and sauté for a minute.
- Then add all of the seasonings (curry powder, garam masala, salt, ground ginger, red pepper) and cook until aromatic, which may take about 30 seconds to a minute. Turn down the heat if needed so the seasonings don't burn.
- Add the coconut milk and deglaze the pan, scraping off any brown bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Then add the crushed tomatoes and potatoes to the pot. Then turn up the heat until your mixture is bubbling and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Occasionally stir the potatoes so they don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook covered at a simmer for about 15-25 minutes or until fork-tender. The potatoes may take longer to cook in this thick tomato-based curry versus a thinner soup. Start checking for doneness at the 15-minute mark. Insert a fork into a potato and it should have little resistance.
- When the potatoes are done add the peas and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the peas are warmed through.
No need to get a rapid boil, the tomato mixture will be thick. It does need to stay at a gentle simmer on low to low medium heat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian inspired
Keywords: potato curry with coconut milk, vegan potato curry