These pumpkin peanut butter muffins are made with whole wheat flour and are oil-free. They’re perfect for a fall treat using warm spices like pumpkin pie spice and more cinnamon.
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) ground flax seed (+ 5 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup (65 g) natural unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup (230 g) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (122 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (220 g) whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (90 g) vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Make two flax eggs by stirring together the ground flax seed and 5 tablespoons of water. Set aside and let it sit and gel for about 5-10 minutes.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin tray with silicone liners (or lightly spray the muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray).
- In a bowl, whisk the peanut butter and maple syrup together. Then whisk in the pumpkin puree, applesauce, milk, vanilla extract, and the flax eggs.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir a few times, then add the chocolate chips. Then gently fold everything together until just combined.
- Fill 12 standard muffin cups full and bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and the muffin tops bounce back when pressed.
- Cool in the muffin tray for 10 minutes, then move to cooling rack to continue cooling.
I use natural peanut butter that just contains peanuts and/or salt. So I recommend using a brand with no added oils or sweeteners. The added oils and sweeteners may alter the taste and texture of the muffins.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 21 minutes
- Category: snacks, dessert, breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: pumpkin peanut butter muffins, oil free muffins, whole wheat vegan muffins