This flavor-packed baked tofu Buddha bowl is loaded with veggies, sweet mango, and the most delicious spicy peanut sauce.
For the Tofu
- 1 (14-ounce) block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flake nutritional yeast
Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, stir before measuring
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ inch fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3-5 tablespoons water (depending on how thin you want the sauce)
To Finish the Bowl
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups diced mango (thaw if frozen)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3-4 cups kale, stem removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Drain then press the tofu for 20-30 minutes. Then cube the tofu into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the tamari and maple syrup together, add the cubed tofu and gently toss to coat. Then sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and gently toss again.
- Then spread the cubes out on a silicone mat or parchment paper-lined baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make your rice and prepare the peanut sauce.
- Take about 1-2 tablespoons of peanut sauce and massage it into the kale. This will break down some of the fibers, and it will reduce in volume.
- When the tofu is done, portion out the rice, tofu, kale, mango, and veggies into large serving bowls. Then top with the peanut sauce.
The recipe calls for extra firm tofu, but firm tofu can be used. It will be a little softer than the extra firm.
If your tofu comes vacuum-packed and has no liquid to drain, you can skip the pressing.
I use natural peanut butter, the kind that’s just peanuts and maybe salt. It will have natural oil separation, stir it back into the peanut butter before measuring. If you substitute with regular peanut butter that has sweetener and oil it may alter the taste and texture of the peanut sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american, asian inspired
Keywords: tofu Buddha bowl, tofu nourish bowl