These vegan banana bars with chocolate chips are oil-free and made with whole-wheat flour. The mashed banana keeps the banana bars moist while also lending a good amount of natural sweetness to these wholesome bars.
- 1 cup (235 g) mashed overripe banana (about 2 large or 2 1/2 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) dairy-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 g) whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (62 g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F(180 C). Lightly grease or line an 8x8 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas really well, make sure to have 1 cup. If you don’t have 1 cup of mashed banana it can be topped off with unsweetened applesauce.
- Mix the sugar into the mashed banana.
- Then whisk in the milk and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together.
- Transfer the banana mixture to the prepared pan, and spread it out so it reaches the corners and its level.
- Then bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
You can top off the 1 cup of mashed banana with applesauce.
I haven’t tested it, but all-purpose flour should work in place of whole wheat flour.
Raw cane sugar can be substituted for a 1-to-1 ratio for granulated white sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan banana bars with chocolate chips, vegan banana squares