Simple, fluffy, buttery vegan cornbread with coconut milk. No butter, no oil, and no added sugar are needed!
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 1/3 cup of water and let sit for 5-10 minutes to gel.
- Use a parchment paper-lined or grease an 8-inch by 8-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- When the flax egg has gelled add it to the dry ingredients along with the entire can of coconut milk and dairy-free milk. Mix everything until it's just combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooled store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
The can coconut milk is a replacement for the sugar and oil in the recipe so it can't be substituted with the carton of coconut milk (usually found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make vegan cornbread, how to make cornbread without butter