Simple, fluffy, buttery vegan cornbread with no butter, no oil, and no added sugar.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) water
- 1 cup (155 g) cornmeal
- 1 cup (125 g) whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can ((13.5 ounces) 403 ml) unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) dairy-free milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 1/3 cup of water and let sit for 5-10 minutes to gel.
- Use a parchment paper-lined or grease an 8-inch by 8-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir the contents of the can of coconut milk to combine the cream and coconut water.
- When the flax egg has gelled add it to the dry ingredients along with the entire can of coconut milk and dairy-free milk. Mix everything until it’s just combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooled store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make vegan cornbread, how to make cornbread without butter