This vegan creamy tomato pasta combines cashew cream, canned diced tomatoes, and fresh basil to create a comforting pasta dinner. The recipe uses simple ingredients and comes together quickly.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each (411 g)) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 pound (454 g) pasta
- Fresh chopped basil for serving
- For oil-free cooking preheat a non-stick pan on medium and cook the finely diced onion with a pinch of salt. Lower the heat and slowly cook the onion until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if the onions start to stick. (Or cook the onions with a neutral-tasting oil).
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the two cans of diced tomatoes, don’t drain them. Then use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Then stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, and salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, lower the heat, and cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions in salted water.
- Drain the cashews and blend them with 1/2 cup of water until smooth. Add the cashew cream to the tomato sauce right before adding the cooked pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta to the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve with fresh chopped basil.
For more flavorful pasta, generously salt the pasta water, “it should taste like the sea”.
If you prefer a thinner cashew tomato pasta sauce or the sauce has thickened too much, reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add as much as you need to the tomato sauce to thin back out.
Cook the tomato sauce with the lid on to prevent too much evaporation.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan creamy tomato pasta, creamy vegan tomato pasta, Creamy tomato pasta vegan