This easy, flavor-packed mixed vegetable curry with coconut milk is full of veggies, a little spicy from the red chili, creamy from the coconut milk, and loaded with flavor from the spices and fresh cilantro.
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced or chopped
- 2 ((about 13.5 ounces) 380 g)) bok choy sliced (green and white parts separated)
- 1 red chili pepper, finely diced (I use a fresh cayenne pepper)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces (402 mL)) full fat coconut milk
- 1 can (15 ounces (425 g)) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- More sliced red chili
- Sauté the red bell pepper, zucchini, white parts of the bok choy (reserving the green parts for later), and red chili in a preheated pan, for about 8-10 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Add a splash of water or vegetable broth to keep the vegetables from sticking for oil-free cooking. Alternatively, you can saute the vegetables in ¼ cup of water or vegetable broth if you don’t have a nonstick pan. Or use a tablespoon of neutral-tasting oil.
- When the vegetables have softened add the garlic and ginger, then sauté for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add curry powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric (if used), and salt then sauté for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until it’s aromatic.
- Use ½ cup of water to deglaze the pan, scraping off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Now add the tamari, maple syrup, coconut milk, and chickpeas.
- Bring to a simmer and cook covered for about 10 minutes for the flavors to blend together.
- Then stir in the green parts of the bok choy and cook uncovered on a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes, or just until the green parts have wilted.
- Then stir in the fresh lime juice, serve over rice, and top with fresh chopped cilantro.
It’s helpful to already have the spices measured out and everything is chopped and ready to go before the cooking process begins.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 27 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai inspired
Keywords: vegan chickpea curry, mixed vegetable curry with coconut milk, oil free curry, chickpea curry without tomatoes