This vegan baked potato recipe is filled with roasted broccoli and chickpeas. Then it's smothered and covered in a creamy vegan cheese sauce.
- 1 recipe for nacho cheese
- 14 ounces broccoli florets
- 4 large Russet potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe
- 1 medium potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cubed)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight if you don't have a high-speed blender)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6-8 pickled jalapeños (depending on how spicy you want it)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Scrub the potatoes then poke them many times with a fork on all sides.
- Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack or a baking tray. If you’re using oil on your potatoes parchment paper or a silicone mat can help with clean up.
- Roast the potatoes for 45-60 minutes (depending on their size) or until their insides are soft when pierced with a fork.
- When the potatoes have about 20 minutes left, roast the broccoli at 425 F (220 C) for 20 minutes.
- While the broccoli is roasting, make the cheese sauce.
- Boil the potato and carrot (for the sauce) for 10 minutes or until they’re soft.
- Drain the cashews then add them with the cooked potato, carrot, and the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Warm up the cheese sauce with the chickpeas in a pot on the stove, and keep warm until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- When the broccoli is done, rough chop it and add it to the cheese sauce.
- Cut open the cooked potatoes, fluff the insides with a fork, then cover in cheese sauce.
How long the potatoes take will vary because of their size.
I don’t use much oil in my cooking, but if you do and want a crispy potato skin try vegan butter or a high heat oil rubbed on the outside of the potato to crisp up the skin.
Find potatoes that are about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan baked potato, veggie baked potato, vegan loaded baked potato