Spicy chickpea stew with zucchini and kale cooked in a smoky tomato sauce to take on the flavors of cumin, ground coriander, and smoked paprika.
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium (15 ounces (427 g) zucchini, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can ((28 oz) 794 g)) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans ((15 oz) 425 g)) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 large handfuls of fresh kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Brown rice, white rice, potatoes, or couscous
- In a preheated non-stick soup pot, cook the red onion for a few minutes until it starts to become translucent. For oil-free cooking, start with a dry pot (no oil) and add a tablespoon of water at a time if needed, or cook the onions with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the zucchini with a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally, and cook for about 8-12 minutes, or until the zucchini has become tender (and no longer white but more yellow/green). Use a tablespoon of water at a time to deglaze the pan if the zucchini starts to stick.
- Stir in the garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper, then cook for about 1 minute until it’s aromatic.
- Add the tomato paste and stir it into the seasonings, cook for about 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the diced tomatoes, use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chickpeas and the 3/4 teaspoon of salt, then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
- Then stir in the kale until it’s wilted, then the fresh lemon juice.
- Serve over rice, potatoes, or couscous with fresh chopped cilantro.
For oil-free cooking, keep water in a container nearby for convenience.
Use 1/2-1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper depending on how spicy you want the stew.
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan chickpea stew, Chickpeas stew with spinach, Chickpea stew with kale