Spicy stewed chickpeas with zucchini and kale cooked in a smoky tomato sauce to take on the flavors of cumin, ground coriander, and smoked paprika.
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 medium (1.32 lbs (600 g) zucchinis, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2–1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can ((28 oz) 794 g)) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans ((15 oz) 425 g)) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 large handfuls of fresh kale, chopped
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- In a preheated non-stick soup pot, cook the red onion for a few minutes until it starts to become translucent.
- Add the zucchini and garlic with a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally cook for about 8-12 minutes, or until the zucchini has become tender. Use a tablespoon of water at a time to deglaze the pan if the zucchini starts to stick.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, then cook for about 1 minute until it’s aromatic.
- Add the diced tomatoes, use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, and pepper, then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
- Then stir in the kale until it’s wilted.
- Serve over rice, potatoes, or couscous with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan chickpea stew, Chickpeas stew with spinach, Chickpea stew with kale