Spicy stewed chickpeas with zucchini and kale for an easy dinner. The chickpeas are cooked in a spicy-smoky tomato sauce to take on the flavors of cumin, ground coriander, and smoked paprika. We round out the dish with cooked summer squash and kale to increase the nutrients. Then serve this oil-free vegan zucchini recipe with rice or couscous, and top with fresh chopped cilantro for an even more flavorful dish.
How to Make Vegan Chickpea Stew
For oil-free cooking, preheat a large nonstick soup pot or a large high-sided skillet. Now add the diced red onion and cook until it’s translucent. Add a tablespoon of water if the onions start to stick to deglaze the pan.
Then add the diced zucchini, garlic, and a pinch of salt. The vegetables will release some of their liquid and they’ll end up cooking in their own juices. Cook everything until the zucchini is tender and starts to become translucent around 8-12 minutes.
Next add the ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, and cook for about one more minute. Next, add the diced tomatoes and use them to deglaze the pan and scrape off any browned bits from the veggies with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Now add the drained chickpeas, salt, and pepper.
Bring the stew to a gentle simmer and let all of your ingredients cook covered which infuses the flavors into the chickpeas and tomatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes, occasionally stirring. Then stir in the kale until it’s wilted. Serve with your favorite grain and top with fresh chopped cilantro to add a nice freshness to the dish.
- Substitute the red onion for white or yellow onion, shallots would also be pretty good.
- Substitute the fresh kale for spinach.
- Add more crushed red pepper if you like it hot, the 1/2 teaspoon adds just a little heat.
- Add the fresh cilantro just before serving, the heat will diminish its flavor.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
More Hearty Soups and Stews
- White bean and potato soup
- Butternut squash lentil soup
- Potato curry
- Slow cooker quinoa chili
- Instant pot red lentil chili (with instructions for stovetop)
As always, I hope you enjoy this recipe for a vegan chickpea stew with kale! The recipe was inspired by Middle Eastern Chicken & Chickpea Stew recipe from the December 2015 issue of Eating Well magazine.Print
Spicy stewed chickpeas with zucchini and kale cooked in a smoky tomato sauce to take on the flavors of cumin, ground coriander, and smoked paprika.
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 medium (1.32 lbs (600 g) zucchinis, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2–1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can ((28 oz) 794 g)) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans ((15 oz) 425 g)) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 large handfuls of fresh kale, chopped
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- In a preheated non-stick soup pot, cook the red onion for a few minutes until it starts to become translucent.
- Add the zucchini and garlic with a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally cook for about 8-12 minutes, or until the zucchini has become tender. Use a tablespoon of water at a time to deglaze the pan if the zucchini starts to stick.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, then cook for about 1 minute until it’s aromatic.
- Add the diced tomatoes, use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, and pepper, then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
- Then stir in the kale until it’s wilted.
- Serve over rice, potatoes, or couscous with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan chickpea stew, Chickpeas stew with spinach, Chickpea stew with kale