This single-serving vegan chocolate microwave mug cake uses simple ingredients for a little sweet treat.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder or natural cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a microwave-safe mug, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add the milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Try not to over-mix the batter but make sure there are no dry clumps at the bottom of the mug.
- Microwave for 1 minute for a 900-watt microwave.
- The time will vary per microwave, if it’s not done place it back in the microwave and cook for 10-second intervals until cooked.
- The top should look set, lightly press the top and the cake should spring back. I like mine a little gooey, so I lean towards the cake being a smidge under-done (which means the top will look almost completely set except for a small amount in the middle). If it’s overcooked it will get dry.
If you have a higher-power microwave start with less time, you can always cook longer if it’s not set.
I have a 900-watt microwave and cook my chocolate mug cake for 1 minute on high. You may have to experiment with different times based on the power of your microwave (so the time will vary per microwave).
Not all brands of granulated sugar are vegan, look for brands that are bone-char free or have the vegan label.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: dessert
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: america
Keywords: Vegan chocolate microwave cake, Chocolate mug cake no oil, Vegan chocolate mug cake, Oil free mug cake