This single-serving vegan chocolate microwave mug cake uses simple ingredients for a little sweet treat. So when you have a craving strike, it takes less than 5 minutes to make this gooey chocolatey treat!
This is an oil-free version that uses applesauce to make it low-fat. The recipe uses the microwave to cook the cake into an easy vegan chocolate mug cake perfect for a single serving.
The double chocolate mug cake has a mix of wholesome ingredients like whole wheat flour and applesauce mixed with some goodies like sugar and chocolate chips to make it a nice little treat. The chocolate chips melt, making the cake even more chocolatey!
Whole wheat flour - I prefer to use whole wheat flour, but all-purpose should work fine.
Dutch-processed cocoa powder - I use Dutch-processed cocoa powder for personal preferences, but for this recipe, it can be substituted with natural cocoa powder.
Granulated sugar - I use cane sugar, but any granulated sugar should work.
Chocolate chips - The chocolate chips add that melted gooey chocolatey goodness. But the chocolate chips can be left out in this vegan chocolate cake in a mug to reduce the calories to roughly 189 per serving.
Baking powder - This is the leavening agent to make your oil-free mug cake rise.
Dairy-free milk - Any dairy-free milk can be used.
Unsweetened applesauce - The applesauce is used to keep the dessert moist for this no-oil chocolate mug cake.
Vanilla extract - The extract is used to add a little more flavor.
- The cake will continue to cook slightly while cooling.
- Use a deep coffee mug, a shallow mug may spill over. The mug needs to be deep enough that the cake can almost double in size (it won’t be quite double).
- If you have a higher-power microwave, start with less time, you can always cook longer if it’s not set.
- I have a 900-watt microwave and cook my chocolate mug cake for 1 minute on high. You may have to experiment with different times based on the power of your microwave (so the time will vary per microwave).
- Try not to overcook the oil-free mug cake, it may dry out and/or become rubbery.
- Mix the dry ingredients really well before adding the wet ingredients so everything is evenly dispersed. Be careful not to over-mix which can create a more dense rubbery cake.
In a microwave-safe mug, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt.
Then add the milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Try not to over-mix the batter but make sure there are no dry clumps at the bottom of the mug. Microwave for 1 minute for a 900-watt microwave.
The time will vary per microwave, if it’s not done place it back in the microwave and cook your oil-free mug cake for 10-second intervals until cooked.
The top should look set, lightly press the top and the cake should spring back. I like mine a little gooey, so I lean toward the cake being a smidge under-done. This means the top will be almost completely set except for a little spot in the middle.
If it’s overcooked it will get dry. Add toppings or eat as is, and enjoy!
- Fresh berries
- Vegan Ice Cream
- Coconut Whip Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Banana Nice Cream
- Cherry Nice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream
More oil-free vegan desserts
- Banana Nut Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Vegan Banana Bars with Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate-Covered Cooke Dough Bites
- Vegan Chocolate Sauce (3 Ingredients)
- Vegan chocolate banana smoothie
I hope you enjoy this vegan chocolate microwave mug cake with no oil! If you like the recipe, feel free to rate it and leave a comment.Print
This single-serving vegan chocolate microwave mug cake uses simple ingredients for a little sweet treat.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder or natural cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a microwave-safe mug, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add the milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Try not to over-mix the batter but ensure no dry clumps are at the bottom of the mug.
- Microwave for 1 minute for a 900-watt microwave.
- The time will vary per microwave, if it’s not done place it back in the microwave and cook for 10-second intervals until cooked.
- The top should look almost set, lightly press the top and the cake should spring back. I like mine a little gooey, so I lean towards the cake being a smidge under-done (which means the top will look almost completely set except for a small amount in the middle). Cooking the cake until the top is almost set will help prevent the cake from being overcooked, if it’s overcooked it will get dry.
If you have a higher-power microwave start with less time, you can always cook longer if it’s not set.
I have a 900-watt microwave and cook my chocolate mug cake for 1 minute on high. You may have to experiment with different times based on the power of your microwave (so the time will vary per microwave).
Not all brands of granulated sugar are vegan, look for brands that are bone-char free or have the vegan label.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: dessert
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: america
Keywords: Vegan chocolate microwave cake, Chocolate mug cake no oil, Vegan chocolate mug cake, Oil free mug cake