Easy sweet potato dog treats that are simple to make and cheaper than store-bought goodies. Just bake or dehydrate the potatoes as a healthy treat for your dogs and they will absolutely love them. Simply slice the sweet potatoes and bake. That’s it! I use a mandoline slicer to slice my potatoes so they are all the same thickness, but they can also be sliced with a knife. I use the medium setting for my mandoline slicer, which cuts the potatoes ½ cm thick. Cut the potatoes width-wise for small pieces and length-wise for larger pieces. I also cook the little bites from the end of the sweet potato, so the small pieces get crunchy and the big pieces will be softer.
The sweet potato dog treats can be dried in the oven or a food dehydrator. Both options work great! The timing will vary depending on how thick the potatoes are cut and if you prefer the treats to be softer or crunchier. When baking in the oven start checking at the two-hour mark to see if they’re done, then every 15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness.
One or two sweet potatoes can easily be made at one time. I prefer to make two at one time for ease of clean up, but I also have two large sweethearts who will gobble them up.
These are my two cutie pies with their big eyes! They’re being so patient. I hope your dogs enjoy the sweet potato treats as much as mine did.Print
One ingredient sweet potato dog treats, that will taste like a bite of healthy heaven to any dog!
- 1 sweet potato
Method 1 Oven:
- Preheat oven to 250˚ F.
- Slice the sweet potatoes at least ½ cm thick.
- Place the sweet potatoes rounds on a silicone mat or parchment paper on baking sheets.
- Cook for 2½-3 hours.
- Turn the potatoes halfway through.
- Check at the two-hour mark to see if they’re done, then every 15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Method 2 Food Dehydrator:
- Slice the sweet potatoes ½ cm thick.
- Place the slices on the food dehydrator racks.
- Set the dehydrator to 135˚ F.
- Dry for 6-7 hours, depending on how crunchy you prefer the treats to be.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Dog Treat Kitchen
- Category: dog treats
- Method: food dehydrator, oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: How to make sweet potato dog treats