Easy sweet potato dog treats that are simple to make and cheaper than store-bought goodies. You can just bake or dehydrate the potatoes as a healthy treat for your dogs and they will absolutely love them. Simply slice the sweet potatoes and bake. That’s it!
The dehydrated sweet potato dog treats can be dried in the oven or a food dehydrator. Both options work great! The timing will vary depending on how thick the potatoes are cut and if you prefer softer or crunchier treats. When baking in the oven; start checking at the two-hour mark to see if they're done, then every 15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness.
One or two sweet potatoes can easily be made at a time. I prefer to make two at one time for ease of clean-up, but I also have two large sweethearts who will gobble them up.
How long to Dehydrate Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
These treats are just one ingredient and easy, but they do take a while in the oven and even longer in a food dehydrator. For the oven it will take 2 ½-3 hours, in a food dehydrator set at 135 F it will take about 6-7 hours. So they’re not quick, but besides slicing, it’s a hands-off recipe.
Tips for Dehydrating Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
- I use a mandoline slicer for my potatoes so they are all the same thickness, but they can also be sliced with a knife. I use the medium setting for my mandoline, which cuts the potatoes ½ cm thick.
- Cut the potatoes width-wise for small pieces and length-wise for larger pieces. I also cook the little bites from the end of the sweet potato. The small pieces get crunchy and the big pieces will be softer.
- The time will vary on how thick the sweet potato slices are and your personal preference. Some dogs prefer a softer sweet potato and some prefer them crispier. Also if you slice them too thin they will cook faster and get too crispy, resulting in sweet potato chips. If they’re too thick the potatoes may be more rubbery or take longer to cook.
- For smaller dogs, the potatoes can be sliced into rounds. Larger dogs that want larger treats can be accommodated by slicing the potatoes lengthwise.
- I’ve read conflicting information about leaving sweet potato peels on for dogs, I’m not a vet so if you have concerns I suggest asking your veterinarian. I leave the skin on and my pups haven’t had any issues.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
Cook the sliced potatoes for 2½-3 hours, turning them halfway through. Check at the two-hour mark to see if they're done, then every 15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness. Some dogs prefer them softer and some prefer them a little crisper.
How to Dehydrate Sweet Potatoes for Dogs in a Food Dehydrator
Wash the sweet potato, slice the potatoes ½ cm thick, and place the slices on the food dehydrator racks. Set the dehydrator to 135˚ F, and dry for 6-7 hours, depending on how crunchy you (or your dog) prefer the treats to be.
Storing Dried Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. If you want to store them at room temperature how long they last will vary.
Factors that influence their longevity are moisture left in the sweet potatoes, humidity where you live, and how often the container is opened. With that in mind, I’ve stored them on the counter in an airtight container for a couple of days and had no issues. If your dog prefers them softer, they may not last long on the counter because of the moisture content left in the treats after cooking.
These are my two cutie pies about to enjoy their freshly made treats! I hope your dogs enjoy these baked sweet potato treats as much as mine did.Print
Easy sweet potato dog treats that are simple to make and cheaper than store-bought goodies.
- 1 sweet potato
Method 1 Oven:
- Preheat oven to 250˚ F and wash the sweet potato.
- Slice the sweet potatoes at least ½ cm thick.
- Place the sweet potatoes rounds on a silicone mat or parchment paper on baking sheets.
- Cook for 2½-3 hours.
- Turn the potatoes halfway through.
- Check at the two-hour mark to see if they're done, then every 15 minutes until they reach your desired crispness.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Method 2 Food Dehydrator:
- Wash the sweet potato and slice the sweet potatoes ½ cm thick.
- Place the slices on the food dehydrator racks.
- Set the dehydrator to 135˚ F.
- Dry for 6-7 hours, depending on how crunchy you prefer the treats to be.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Dog Treat Kitchen
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: dog treats
- Method: food dehydrator, oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: How to make sweet potato dog treats, dehydrated sweet potatoes, how to make sweet potato snacks for dogs