I have another vegan whole-wheat pumpkin muffin recipe on my blog that I have tested and retested. I thought I liked the old recipe until I tried using a mashed banana and a little bit peanut butter. This is my new favorite recipe for whole-wheat pumpkin muffins! I kept the old recipe on the blog as an option for anyone who doesn’t like bananas.
Peanut butter may sound kind of funny in a pumpkin muffin recipe, but it’s pretty delicious. The peanut butter adds a little fat to the muffins and gives the flavor a little more depth. The whole-wheat flour will keep you full longer, making these great for make-ahead breakfast, snacks, or a lighter dessert. They freeze well, just pull one out of the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
For anyone with nut allergies, the peanut butter can be substituted with sunflower seed butter. Also, the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice can be substituted with 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice.
How to Make Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
In a bowl mash a ripe banana really well, then add the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and mash it into the banana. Next add the maple syrup, plant-based milk, pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix), and vanilla extract to the banana mixture and mix to combine.
In a separate large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, allspice, and chocolate chips. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Bake for 24-26 minutes at 350 F (180 C) or until it passes the toothpick test.
I hope you enjoy the new recipe for vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, here’s the original whole-wheat pumpkin muffin recipe if you want to check it out.Print
Soft and fluffy whole-wheat chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. Perfect for a make-ahead breakfast, snack, or healthier dessert.
- 1 very ripe banana mashed
- 2 tablespoons natural unsweetened peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Line or grease a muffin tray.
- In a bowl mash a banana really well, then add the peanut butter and mix well.
- To the banana mixture add the maple syrup, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ground ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Mix in the chocolate chips
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Careful to not over-mix.
- Fill 12 muffin cups and bake for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and the muffin tops bounce back when pressed.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make whole-wheat muffins, oil-free muffins