Homemade non-dairy hot chocolate is incredibly easy to put together and it only takes three ingredients. I prefer to keep it simple and easy. It’s a fuss-free hot chocolate mix that takes just as long as the store-bought package stuff without the funny ingredients.
If this vegan hot chocolate recipe wasn’t already delicious enough, there are all sorts of toppings you can add to make it more fun. It’s also really fun for kids (and adults 😊) to dress up their own hot chocolate.
Enhance Your Non-Dairy Hot Chocolate
- Vanilla Extract (¼ teaspoon per serving)
- Pumpkin Spice (¼ teaspoon per serving)
- Peanut Butter (1 Tablespoon per serving)
- Semi sweet dairy-free chocolate chips (1 tablespoon per serving)
- Candy Canes
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Vegan Marshmallows
- Cinnamon Stick
- A dollop of coconut cream
Tips for Enhancing Plant-Based Hot Chocolate
If you choose to jazz up your hot chocolate with pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, or peanut butter, they can be added before you heat your chocolate up or after. I find that pumpkin spice and peanut butter do combine better with the milk when it’s heated up and whisked.
If you’re adding the chocolate chips, add them once the milk is warmed through and whisk in until melted.
Tips for Making Easy Vegan Hot Chocolate
- If you are making a lot of homemade hot chocolate at once method 1 will probably be a lot easier as it works better for big batches. Method 2 uses the microwave and works well for individual servings.
- Use any kind of non-dairy milk. I’ve tried soy, almond, and oat and they all do fine, use your favorite brand.
- A glass measuring cup works great for the microwave for two reasons: you won’t scratch up a mug by whisking to combine ingredients and you can see the bottom and know if everything has been incorporated.
More Dairy-Free Chocolate Treats
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
- Chocolate-Covered Cookie Dough Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Sauce (3 Ingredients)
I hope you enjoy this recipe for homemade dairy-free hot chocolate!
Originally posted on January 21, 2019, updated on December 1, 2021.
Homemade non-dairy hot chocolate made with only three simple ingredients.
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sugar
Method 1 Stovetop:
- Warm the milk in a pot on the stovetop to desired drinking temperature and whisk in the cocoa powder and maple syrup (or sugar), stirring occasionally until combined.
Method 2 Microwave:
- In a microwave-safe mug or glass measuring cup add the milk, cocoa powder, and maple syrup.
- You can lightly whisk everything together, but the cocoa powder will not mix well in cold milk, so heat it up!
- Heat for 1 minute, then 30-second increments until you get your desired temperature. I like to stir everything in between the increments to help combine everything.
- When your desired temperature is reached, whisk the milk mixture again until the cocoa powder is thoroughly mixed in.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: stovetop, microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free hot chocolate, homemade hot chocolate