My son loves lentils and soup, so we came up with this easy vegan red lentil soup recipe together. It was a joy to have him in the kitchen and we were both very pleased with how it came out. The lentils break down when cooking and thicken up the soup to a delicious creamy consistency. It only takes 15 minutes for the lentils to cook so this is a very easy and quick weeknight meal.
If you want to substitute fresh herbs for dried an easy conversion to remember is 1 teaspoon of dried = 1 tablespoon of fresh.
I hope you enjoy this healthy easy red lentil soup made from scratch!
For more red lentil meals
For more easy dinnersPrint
Thick and creamy family-friendly lentil soup that only takes 20 minutes.
- Saute the onion, carrot, and celery until the onion is translucent. For oil-free add a splash of water or vegetable broth to deglaze the pan.
- Then add the garlic, herbs (except the bay leaves), and salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the lentils, broth, and the bay leaves to the pot. Stir the lentils so they don't stick to each other.
- Bring the soup to a boil and the lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup from scratch, red lentil soup