Sweet and spicy roasted cashews and walnuts are quick and easy to make. They’re vegan, oil-free, gluten-free and they only take about 20 minutes to make.
With only a few simple ingredients they work great for holiday parties or even as a homemade holiday gift. The maple syrup caramelizes the nuts as they roast and the seasonings add a hint of spice. Once cooled, they’ll be crispy too!
How to Make Maple Roasted Cashews and Walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C), then add the maple syrup and seasonings to a bowl and stir to combine, then add the nuts and stir to coat. Thoroughly stir everything together to make sure all the nuts are coated with the syrup and seasonings. A silicone or rubber spatula works really well to combine everything.
Spread the nuts out on a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Roast for 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Once cooled separate any large clumps. Let the nuts cool completely before storing.
Tips for Vegan Candied Nuts
- The cashews and walnuts will be sticky when they come out of the oven, but they’ll firm up as they cool.
- Be sure to buy raw unsalted nuts, not pre-roasted.
- Be sure to use real maple syrup, not pancake syrup that may look like maple syrup, but it’s really corn syrup.
- Be sure to stir halfway through, this ensures even roasting.
- The parchment paper or silicone mat is used to prevent sticking. Without it, your pan may be a bit of a mess.
- The pinch of cayenne is optional to make them even spicer. Adding it will depend on the heat level of the chili powder and your own preference for the sweet and spicy combo.
Walnuts can be replaced with pecans. I haven’t tried almonds, but they may take a little longer to roast.
Storing Maple Candied Cashews and Walnuts
Store in an air-tight container on the counter for up to a week (though they don’t last that long at my house). For longer storage keep them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
More Vegan Holiday Party Snacks
I hope you enjoy the recipe for sweet and spicy walnuts and cashews! They also work great as a homemade holiday gift.
Originally posted January 8, 2019, updated on November 20, 2021.Print
Easy sweet and spicy roasted cashews and walnuts that are ready in 20 minutes. Great for snacks or homemade holiday gifts!
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add the maple syrup and seasonings to a bowl and stir to combine, then add the nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread the nuts out on a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Once cooled separate any large clumps.
- Cool completely before storing.
Be sure to buy unsalted raw nuts for this recipe.
The maple syrup glaze will firm up as the roasted nuts cool.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet roasted nuts, oven roasted nuts