It’s the holiday season and vegan sausage balls are one of the many recipes that I needed to veganize when we changed our diet. It’s one of our traditions to have them every Christmas Eve and there are never leftovers. They are very rich and cheesy and make a great appetizer for the holidays.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients separate from the sausage and cheese so all the dry ingredients get thoroughly mixed together. Then work in the sausage and cheese with your hands. Break up the sausage into smaller bits while working in the flour mixture.
If the mixture is too dry add a tablespoon at a time of plant-based milk to help the mixture hold together and form the sausage balls. Vegan sausage and cheese are not as fatty as their alternatives so the milk helps everything stick together.
I hope you enjoy the vegan sausage ball recipe!Print
Rich and cheesy vegan sausage balls. Classic holiday appetizer veganized!
- 14 ounces vegan ground sausage (I used Lightlife Gimme Lean Plant-Based Ground Sausage)
- 8 ounces vegan shredded cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons of plant-based milk (as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C)
- Mix the whole-wheat flour, salt, baking powder, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the vegan sausage and vegan shredded cheese to the bowl and mix it into the flour with your hands while breaking up the sausage.
- If the mixture is too dry add a tablespoon of milk at a time to help combine everything together.
- Roll out 1 ½ inch size sausage balls and place them on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian sausage balls, vegan sausage balls, lightlife sausage balls, gimme lean sausage balls, vegan holiday appetizers