My husband came up with this easy tofu scramble after discovering Hatch Green Chile Peppers. Their name comes from the Hatch Valley region in New Mexico and they’re very delicious roasted. The heat levels vary and it’s usually between a jalapeno and a Serrano pepper.
If Hatch chile peppers are not available where you live you can try substituting them with Anaheim chile peppers. Check out my post on how to roast peppers in the oven, the method works well for any kind of pepper.
I roast my peppers ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator or the freezer. The peppers actually freeze really well and add a lot of flavor to dishes.
The recipe works well as is or made into tacos. I also like to cool off the dish with slices of avocado or add a little more kick with some salsa.
More Tofu ScramblesPrint
Roasted Hatch green chile peppers and potatoes to give the tofu scramble some depth.
- 3 medium potatoes (dice 1-inch cubes)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 14 oz Extra firm tofu (drained)
- 1 onion (diced)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 roasted Hatch green chile peppers (diced)
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into chucks.
- Add the potatoes to a silicone mat and toss them with the seasonings. Cook the potatoes for 35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While the potatoes are cooking drain the tofu.
- Cook the diced onions on medium until translucent in a large sauté pan, about 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat and crumble in the tofu. (Break it apart with your hands as you add it to the pan)
- If there are large chucks of tofu in the pan, break them apart with your spatula.
- Add all of the seasonings (garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and salt).
- Then mix in the roasted chile peppers.
- Cook for about 12 minutes or until the liquid from the tofu has evaporated and everything is warmed up.
- When the potatoes are done add them to the pan and stir to combine.
Serve with sliced avocado.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Main Course
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: tofu scramble, hatch green chile recipes