Pico de Gallo is a raw Mexican condiment that goes great on so many dishes. It adds a nice freshness and a boost of flavor to tacos, taquitos, and lots of other dishes. It’s made with a few simple ingredients: tomatoes, white onion, chili, fresh cilantro, lime or lemon juice, and salt.
Tips for Making Pico de Gallo
- If serving immediately, macerate the onions and jalapeños, which means to soften. To macerate you’ll place the finely diced onions and jalapeños in a bowl and add the lime juice to the top. They don’t have to be completely submerged and let them sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients. The acid will cut through the harshness of the raw onion. This part isn’t as necessary if it’s not served immediately. If you’re chilling your pico beforehand, that will break down the onions in the fridge.
- To make it spicier use Serrano chiles instead of jalapeños.
- Roma tomatoes don’t have as much water as other tomatoes but use what looks good when purchasing your ingredients. Good quality ingredients are best.
- The tomatoes will release a lot of liquid so a slotted spoon works great for serving.
- Finely dice your ingredients, the flavor will be more uniform.
- The stems of fresh cilantro have a lot flavor, finely dice them so you don’t get big stem pieces and to not waste them.
- Walnut Lentil Tacos
- Refried Bean Taquitos
- Use it as a salsa for tortilla chips
- Taco Bowl
- Burrito Bowl
I hope you enjoy this easy Pico de Gallo recipe!Print
Easy Pico de Gallo recipe that goes great on so many dishes. It adds a nice freshness and a boost of flavor to tacos, taquitos, and lots of other dishes.
- ½ large white onion finely diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and finely diced)
- 1 lime juiced (about 2–3 tablespoons)
- 5 Roma tomatoes diced (about a 1 lb)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- If serving immediately place the diced onion and diced jalapeño in a bowl then add the lime juice and let it sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, salt and season with pepper to taste.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: fresh pico de Gallo