Learn how to make vegan avocado toast with 25 topping ideas for breakfast, lunch, or a quick dinner. Mashed avocado on toast is a simple recipe and a blank canvas for you to make your own.
Avocados can be used for so much: adding a creamy texture to smoothies, a substitute for mayo on sandwiches, a substitute for sour cream in Tex-Mex dishes, or just enjoying its silky texture on toast. The smashed avocado toast can be altered to suit your preferences, so I’ve included several different variations to try.
If you're looking for more toast ideas, I also have a post for vegan toast with sweet and savory ideas. For more vegan meal ideas that don't require cooking, try a cucumber hummus sandwich, vegan curry chickpea salad, or vegan chickpea tuna salad (no mayo).
Ripe large avocado - Use a large ripe avocado, mash it, slices it, or cut it into small cubes.
Seasonings - The creamy avocado spread recipe uses just salt and garlic powder to add more flavor. This is for the basic avo toast recipe, see the list below for more delicious options.
Lemon or lime juice - Needed to help prevent the avocado from browning.
Bread - Almost any bread of choice will work, but if you have a choice a thick slice of toasted quality bread works wonderfully. Try it with whole wheat bread, gluten-free bread, sourdough, bagels, or even English muffins. It needs to be sturdy enough to hold toppings. When toasted, your bread should firm up on the outside and stay soft on the inside.
Cut a ripe avocado in half lengthwise, gently twist the two halves apart, and then remove the pit. If there are any small bruised or brown spots, they can be cut away.
Then scoop the flesh out and place it in a small bowl to mash. If you prefer avocado slices, sliced the flesh while still in the skin but not through the skin, then use a spoon to gently scoop out the slices.
Use a fork to mash the avocado with the salt, garlic powder, and lemon (or lime juice). If you’re mashing a lot of avocados, try a potato masher. If using sliced, then sprinkle the spices and lemon or lime juice over them.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. What you do depends on the toppings you choose. If you like a little tang, try adding more lemon or lime juice. Instead of adding garlic powder to the vegan avocado toast recipe, you can rub a clove of garlic on warm toasted bread.
Toast bread in a toaster or the oven. Keep a close eye on it in the oven so it doesn't burn. Then assemble by spreading the mashed avocado or laying the slices on a piece of toast. Then top the vegan avocado toast with your favorite toppings.
Frequently asked questions
To check for ripeness gently press the avocado (not too hard, as the avocado might bruise), it should be firm but give a little under the pressure. A perfectly ripe avocado is not too soft and mushy, nor too firm and hard. When you find a good one, check it for indentations that are soft.
If you find soft spots, they may be overripe or bruised. If the avocado is already ripe and you're not ready for it, place it in the refrigerator. This will not halt the ripening process, just slow it down.
If you can’t find a good ripe avocado that’s ready to use, then pick one that’s not ready yet and ripen it at home. To speed up ripening, place the avocados in a brown paper bag with a couple of bananas or apples. The time it takes to soften the avocados will vary depending on how much they need to ripen. It may take a couple of days or it could be ready overnight.
- Make sure the avocado is ripe enough, if it doesn't mash easily it may not be ready.
- Mash the avocado until smooth, leave it chunky, or slice it.
Classic avocado toast is delicious the way it is, but here are 25 different ways for you to dress up basic avocado toast. Whether you want it super simple or make it fancy with sautéed mushrooms.
- Add sliced or diced radishes with fresh chopped parsley.
- A simple sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes, add/or a little ground cumin or smoked paprika.
- Avocado toast with fresh sliced tomatoes or sliced cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of sea salt. Leave as is or top with fresh chopped herbs like cilantro, basil, or parsley.
- Add cucumber slices, pickled ginger, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Top with roasted diced sweet potatoes (roast the potatoes with salt and smoked paprika).
- Halved cherry tomatoes or tomato slices with fresh basil leaves and balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze.
- Pickled red onions and fresh cilantro are a great addition.
- Fresh jalapeño slices, pickled jalapeños, or pickled banana peppers.
- Avocado toast with Pico de Gallo dolloped on top or stir in salsa into the avocado mixture
- Top it with sautéed mushrooms cooked with a little salt and thyme.
- Add a little lemon juice to the mashed avocado, then top with fresh dill and sunflower seeds.
- Add Everything bagel seasoning.
- Try it with a sprinkle of za'atar.
- Smashed chickpeas with pickled red onions.
- Leftover roasted veggies with fresh herbs.
- Add fresh greens like baby spinach, arugula, or sprouts.
- Add tempeh bacon, coconut bacon, or thinly sliced marinated tofu.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- A few splashes of your favorite hot sauce.
- Top it with corn or black bean salsa.
- Thinly sliced cucumber or tomatoes with capers and fresh dill.
- A spoonful of vegan kimchi.
- Vegan baked beans.
- Spread hummus or vegan cream cheese on toast then top with sliced avocado.
- Top with scrambled tofu, like spicy tofu scramble or hatch green chili tofu scramble.
If the avocado mash has plenty of lime or lemon juice it can keep for 1-2 days but without the citrus juice, it will brown quickly. If you only use half of an avocado, store the half with the pit still intact in an airtight container with a lid in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Pair the delicious vegan avocado toast recipe with fresh fruit, summer berry salad, or vegan fruit salad with lime juice.
- Serve it as a side to tofu scramble, spicy tofu scramble tacos, or Hatch green Chile tofu scramble.
- As a side for a vegan hash brown casserole or oil-free potato hash.
- Alongside a smoothie: orange carrot ginger smoothie, pineapple beet smoothie, spinach pineapple banana smoothie, mango smoothie without yogurt, pineapple cucumber smoothie, or vegan chocolate banana smoothie.
If you like avocados you might also enjoy my easy and flavorful vegan guacamole recipe. I hope you enjoy the best vegan avocado toast recipe and ideas! If you like the recipe, feel free to rate it and leave a comment.Print
Learn how to make vegan avocado toast with 25 topping ideas for breakfast, lunch, or a quick dinner.
- 3-4 slices of bread depending on the size of the slices
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
See the blog post for ideas
- Toast the bread until golden brown.
- Cut the ripe avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with lemon, salt, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Spread the mashed avocado on the toast.
- Add your favorite toppings, and check the blog post for ideas.
- Best if served immediately.
Check the blog post for topping ideas and tips.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan avocado toast, vegan avocado toast recipe, avocado toast with tomatoes