Learn how to make vegan avocado toast with 15 topping ideas for breakfast, lunch, or a quick dinner. Mashed avocado on toast is a simple recipe and a blank canvas for you to make your own.
It can be altered to suit your preferences, so I’ve included several different variations to try. If you're looking for more toast ideas, I also have a post for vegan toast with sweet and savory ideas.
Avocados can be used for so much: adding a creamy texture to smoothies, a substitute for mayo on sandwiches, a substitute for sour cream in Tex-Mex dishes, or just enjoying its silky texture on toast.
Tips For How to Make Vegan Avocado Toast
Cut a ripe avocado in half lengthwise, gently twist the two halves apart, and then remove the pit. If there are any small bruised or brown spots, they can be cut away.
Then scoop the flesh out and place it in a bowl to mash. If you prefer avocado slices, sliced the flesh while still in the skin but not through the skin, then use a spoon to gently scoop out the slices.
Use a fork to mash the avocado with the salt, garlic powder, and lemon (or lime juice) if using. If you’re mashing a lot of avocados, try a potato masher.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. Depending on the toppings you choose, if you like a little tang, try adding lemon or lime juice. Instead of adding garlic powder to the vegan avocado toast recipe, you can rub a clove of garlic on warm toasted bread.
Of course, almost any bread will work in a pinch, but if you have a choice a thick slice of toasted quality bread works wonderfully. Try it with whole-grain bread, sourdough, bagels, or even English muffins.
Then assemble the toast by spreading the mashed avocado or laying the avocado slices on your toasted bread. Then top the vegan avocado toast with your favorite toppings.
To check for ripeness gently press the avocado (not too hard, as the avocado might bruise), it should be firm but give a little under the pressure. Ripe avocados are not too soft and mushy, nor too firm and hard. When you find a good one, check it for indentations that are soft. If you find soft spots, they may be overripe or bruised.
If you can’t find a good ripe avocado that’s ready to use, then pick one that’s not ready yet and ripen it at home. To speed up ripening, place the avocados in a brown paper bag with a couple of bananas or apples. The time it takes to soften the avocados will vary depending on how much they need to ripen. It may take a couple of days or it could be ready overnight.
If the avocado mash has plenty of lime or lemon juice it can keep for 1-2 days, but without the citrus juice, it will brown quickly. If you only use half of an avocado, store the half with the pit still intact in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Vegan Avocado Toast Ideas
Here are 15 ideas for you to dress up simple avocado toast, whether you want it super simple or make it fancy with sautéed mushrooms.
- Add sliced or diced radishes with fresh chopped parsley.
- A simple sprinkle of crushed red pepper, add/or a little ground cumin or smoked paprika.
- Avocado toast with fresh sliced tomatoes or sliced cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of sea salt. Leave as is or top with fresh chopped herbs like cilantro, basil, or parsley.
- Add sliced cucumber, pickled ginger, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Top with roasted diced sweet potatoes (roasted with salt and smoked paprika).
- Halved cherry tomatoes with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.
- Pickled red onions and fresh cilantro.
- Fresh jalapeño slices, pickled jalapeños, or pickled banana peppers.
- Avocado toast with Pico de Gallo.
- With sautéed mushrooms cooked with a little salt and thyme.
- Add a little lemon juice to the mashed avocado, then top with fresh dill and sunflower seeds.
- Add Everything bagel seasoning.
- Mashed chickpeas with pickled red onions.
- Leftover roasted veggies with fresh herbs.
- Add fresh greens like baby spinach, arugula, or sprouts.
What to Eat with Avocado Toast?
- Pair the avocado toast with fresh fruit, summer berry salad, or vegan fruit salad with lime juice.
- Serve it as a side to tofu scramble, spicy tofu scramble tacos, or Hatch green Chile tofu scramble.
- As a side for a vegan hash brown casserole or oil-free potato hash.
- Alongside a smoothie: orange carrot ginger smoothie, pineapple beet smoothie, spinach pineapple banana smoothie, mango smoothie without yogurt, pineapple cucumber smoothie, or vegan chocolate banana smoothie.
If you like avocados you might also enjoy my easy and flavorful vegan guacamole recipe. I hope you enjoy this vegan avocado toast recipe and ideas!
More Vegan Savory Breakfast Ideas
- Vegan Hash Brown Casserole
- Oil-Free Potato Hash
- Spicy Tofu Scramble Tacos
- Hatch Green Chile Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Toast Ideas
Learn how to make vegan avocado toast with 15 topping ideas for breakfast, lunch, or a quick dinner.
- 3-4 slices of bread depending on the size of the slices
- 1 avocado
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Fresh lemon or lime juice, optional
See the blog post for ideas
- Toast the bread until golden brown.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with the salt, garlic powder, and lemon or lime juice (if using). Taste and adjust if needed.
- Spread the mashed avocado on the toast.
- Add your favorite toppings, and check the blog post for ideas.
- Best if served immediately.
Check the blog post for topping ideas and tips.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan avocado toast, vegan avocado toast recipe, avocado toast with tomatoes