This vegan nacho cheese has become my family’s favorite cheese recipe, I am so excited about how it turned out! I've lost count on how many vegan cheese concoctions I have tested and wasn’t happy with. I’ve found that the combination of using potatoes and carrots as the base and the fat from the cashews work really well together. Then using pickled jalapeños gives the cheese tons of flavor.
How to Make Vegan Nacho Cheese
There are a lot of ingredients, but it is very simple to put together. Soak the cashews for at least 10 minutes in hot water. Next, boil the diced carrot and potato, drain, then throw everything in a blender. I use a high-speed blender to get a smooth consistency. If you don’t have one soak the cashews overnight or boil them for 10 minutes to soften up to help your blender puree the nuts.
How to Store the Vegan Cheese Sauce
The cheese sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, but it will solidify after cooling. Just heat it back up in a pot and drizzle it on whatever your heart desires. You can freeze vegan nacho cheese for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. It will look a bit grainy when thawed, but once heated the cheese comes back together.
More Ways to Use Vegan Nacho Cheese
- On roasted potatoes
- Cheesy broccoli and potatoes
- Vegan cheesy broccoli hash brown casserole
- Cheese fries (just top fries with a cheese sauce)
- Stuffed into jalapenos then baked in the oven (homemade poppers)
- On pasta for mac and cheese
As always, I hope you enjoy the vegan nacho cheese with potatoes and carrots!Print
Creamy vegan nacho cheese made from potatoes, carrots, cashews, and jalapenos.
- 1 medium potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and cubed)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6-8 pickled jalapenos slices
- Soak the raw cashews in hot water for at least 10 minutes or overnight if you don't have a high-speed blender.
- Boil the potato and carrot in water for 10 minutes or until the carrot is fork-tender.
- Drain the potato and carrot then add them to a blender.
- Drain the cashews and add to the blender, along with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- If the cheese sauce is still warm from the cooked potatoes and carrots then there’s no need to warm it up. If it’s cooled down, you might want to warm it up in a pot for a couple of minutes.
Notes: Be careful blending hot ingredients. If needed remove the feeder cap (small center cap of the blender lid) to release any pressure caused by blending hot foods. Place a clean towel over the lid to prevent splattering.
If you don't have a high speed blender you'll need to soak your nuts overnight.
- Category: Appetizer, Main Course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan nacho cheese with potatoes and carrots, oil free nacho cheese