This vegan strawberry spinach salad has creamy avocado, toasted pecans, and thinly sliced red onions with a drizzle of oil-free strawberry vinaigrette. Enjoy a flavorful side dish that's light and simple for spring or summer. This spinach salad comes together in as little as 15 minutes with just a few simple and fresh ingredients.
How to hull strawberries
Using a small sharp knife at an angle and cut around the green leafy top of a strawberry, while cutting into the white flesh underneath. Remove the cone and wash the strawberries.
Salad dressing tips
The vegan spinach salad dressing uses blended strawberries making the dressing creamy without the need for oil. If your strawberries aren’t as sweet as you’d like, you might want to add a little maple syrup. The recipe calls for a diced shallot that you’ll soften in lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. The acids will soften the strong and pungent taste of the shallot, but allow some of its delicate onion flavor to come through.
- The vinaigrette can be made in advance, making this salad come together in minutes.
- Wait until you are ready to serve before adding the dressing to the greens.
- Pecans can be substituted with walnuts or sliced almonds, and toasting them adds depth of flavor.
- If the raw red onion is too strong for you: let the slices soak in lemon juice for about 10-15 minutes, drain the lemon juice, gently pat dry, and add to the salad.
- Add your favorite grains to make it more of a meal.
- Use any greens, like mixed salad greens, arugula, spinach, or kale.
- For a nut-free option try sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
- Instead of raw red onions try spicy pickled red onions. Leave out the serrano chilies to skip the heat.
Use spinach, mixed greens, or even mix in some arugula for the recipe. Toast pecans or walnuts for about 3-5 minutes in a pan until fragrant and lightly golden. Toasting brings out their flavor and adds a nice crunch to the vegan spinach salad.
Then add sliced or cubed avocado for creaminess, and red onions for a little bite to counter the sweetness from the strawberries. Hull the strawberries, wash them, pat them dry, and then slice them before adding them to the salad. Next, drizzle on a homemade oil-free strawberry vinaigrette; it’s sweet, tangy, and simple.
- Summer berry salad (uses fresh berries, cinnamon, and apple juice)
- Vegan fruit salad (uses a variety of fruits with lime zest and juice)
- Zesty quinoa salad
- Spicy pickled red onions
As always, I hope you enjoy this strawberry avocado spinach salad recipe! If you like the recipe, feel free to rate it and leave a comment.Print
This vegan strawberry spinach salad has creamy avocado, toasted pecans, thinly sliced red onions with a drizzle of oil-free strawberry vinaigrette.
- ⅓ cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 recipe for strawberry vinaigrette
- 6 cups spinach or mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, hulled
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and sliced)
- Toast the pecans or walnuts in a hot skillet for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until they are fragrant and lightly golden. Then roughly chop the toasted nuts.
- Make the strawberry vinaigrette.
- To serve, add the greens to individual serving bowls, top with sliced strawberries, pecans, red onion, and avocado. Then drizzle with the strawberry vinaigrette before serving.
Don’t add the dressing until you’re ready to eat.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oil free salad, strawberry balsamic salad, vegan strawberry spinach salad