Fresh strawberry and avocado salad on mixed greens with toasted pecans, thinly sliced red onions with a drizzle of oil-free strawberry vinaigrette. With this flavorful side dish, we are going to keep it light and simple for spring or summer. This spinach salad with strawberries comes together in as little as 15 minutes with just a few simple fresh ingredients.
Use spinach or mixed salad greens, then toasted pecans or walnuts for a nice crunch, avocado for some creaminess, and red onions for a little bite to counter the sweetness from the strawberries. Then add a homemade oil-free strawberry vinaigrette, it’s sweet tangy, and simple.
Blending up strawberries makes the dressing creamy without the need for oil. If your strawberries aren’t as sweet as you prefer you might want to add a little maple syrup. The recipe calls for a diced shallot that you’ll macerate (to soften) in lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. The acids will soften the strong pungent taste of the shallot, but allow some of that delicate onion flavor to come through.
Tips for Making Strawberry Avocado Salad
- The vinaigrette can be made in advance making this salad come together in minutes.
- Wait until you are ready to serve before adding the dressing to the greens.
- Use any nuts that you like, toasting them adds depth of flavor.
- Add your favorite grains to make it more of a meal.
- Use any greens, like mixed salad greens, arugula, spinach, or kale.
- Instead of nuts, try sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
More Fruit Salads
- Fresh berry salad (uses fresh berries, cinnamon and apple juice)
- Fruit salad (uses a variety of fruits with lime zest and juice)
As always, I hope you enjoy the strawberry avocado spinach salad recipe!Print
Fresh strawberry avocado salad on mixed greens with toasted pecans, thinly sliced red onions with a drizzle of strawberry vinaigrette.
- ⅓ cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 recipe for strawberry vinaigrette
- 6 cups spinach or mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and sliced)
- Toast the pecans in a hot skillet for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until they are fragrant and lightly toasted. Then roughly chop the toasted pecans.
- Make the strawberry vinaigrette.
- To serve add the greens to a plate, top with sliced strawberries, pecans, red onion, and avocado. Then drizzle with the strawberry vinaigrette before serving.
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oil free salad, strawberry balsamic salad, summer salad