This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
This is how to make creamy chocolate peanut butter nice cream with bananas for an easy vegan dessert. You only need three simple ingredients (and maybe some dairy-free milk) to create this delightful flavor combination using frozen sliced bananas.
What is nice cream?
Nice cream is like ice cream but made without dairy. It’s most commonly made with frozen bananas or frozen coconut milk. This recipe uses sliced frozen bananas to create a creamy consistency.
To make this vegan ice cream extra special, we're using the classic combination to create banana chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. For more nice cream recipes try banana ice cream, cherry nice cream, or pineapple nice cream.
- To make this just chocolate banana nice cream, leave out the peanut butter.
- To make this just peanut butter nice cream, leave out the cocoa powder.
- If the ice cream isn’t sweet enough, add maple or agave syrup to taste.
- If your peanut butter’s only ingredient is peanuts, then you might want to add a pinch of salt to the nice cream when pureeing.
- The amount of milk you need depends on how powerful your blender or food processor is.
- I only tested with natural peanut butter, which only contains peanuts and salt.
How to make nice cream with frozen bananas
Use brown-spotted bananas, this is where the sweetness will come from. The riper the banana, the sweeter it gets.
Peel and slice the bananas into coins. Slicing them into coins will limit the amount of work your blender or food processor has to do and reduces the need for adding milk. Using smaller pieces also means the nice cream will blend into a creamy dessert quicker.
Freeze the sliced bananas on a silicone mat or parchment-lined baking tray that will fit in your freezer. Freezing them separately like this will help prevent them from freezing in a big clump. Once frozen, if you don’t plan on using them right away for your banana peanut butter chocolate ice cream, store them in a freezer-safe container.
When you’re ready to make vegan ice cream, place the sliced bananas in the food processor or blender, then the cocoa powder and peanut butter. Start by pulsing to break up the bananas, then blend until smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed to reincorporate the cocoa powder and peanut butter into the nice cream.
Then, serve the chocolate peanut butter nice cream immediately for a soft serve consistency. For scoop-able ice cream, store it in an airtight container in the freezer for about 2 or more hours.
Tips for making nice cream in a blender
If you have a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix), you might not need any liquid, use the blender’s tamper stick to help push the frozen bananas down to the bottom of the blender. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can add dairy-free milk to the blender. Another option is to let the sliced bananas thaw partly to get them soft enough to blend but still frozen enough to have cold soft-serve ice cream.
Tips for using a food processor
To use a food processor instead of a blender, the directions are the same as using a non-high-speed blender. Start by pulsing to break up the frozen bananas, then puree. If your food processor needs some help pureeing, you can either add dairy-free milk to the blender or let them thaw partly for about 3-5 minutes (do this before pulsing) to get the bananas soft enough to blend (still frozen but just lightly softened). The banana pieces are small, so partly thawing doesn't take long.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the freezer. If it’s too hard to scoop, let it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to soften. If your banana nice cream sits in the freezer for a long time, it may solidify and become hard.
More vegan chocolate recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Sauce (3 Ingredients)
- 2 Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
As always, I hope you enjoy the recipe for banana nice cream with chocolate and peanut butter! I know my chickpeas sure enjoyed testing the recipe. If you like the recipe, feel free to rate it and leave a comment.Print
Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream
- Total Time: 15 mins (plus time to freeze)
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This is how you make creamy chocolate peanut butter nice cream with bananas for an easy vegan dessert.
- 4 frozen bananas, sliced into ½ inch coins before freezing
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (Special Dark 100% Cacao)
- ¼-½ cup dairy-free milk (if needed)
- Put the frozen sliced bananas into the food processor (or blender), then the cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
- Start by pulsing to break up the frozen banana, then increase the speed and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the food processor (or blender) as needed. This will take a few minutes to blend up.
- Start with a ¼ cup of milk if the bananas are not pureeing and add more only if needed.
- Serve immediately for a soft-serve consistency or transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for about 2 or more hours or until solid enough to scoop.
- Once firm, if the nice cream is too solid to serve, let it sit on the counter for about 5 minutes to soften before scooping.
The amount of milk you need depends on how powerful your blender is.
I only tested with natural peanut butter, which only contains peanuts and salt. (If you use peanut butter with additional ingredients, it may alter the flavor.)
If your peanut butter’s only ingredient is peanuts, then you might want to add a pinch of salt to the nice cream when pureeing.
If your banana nice cream sits in the freezer for a long time, it may solidify and become hard. So, for scoop-able nice cream don’t freeze until it’s frozen solid but still soft enough to scoop.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate peanut butter ice cream, banana soft serve, healthy ice cream recipe
This was so good! Definitely going to try the cherry nice cream next.
I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe and I hope you enjoy the cherry nice cream too.