This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
These quick-pickled radishes are easy to make using a vinegar brine. Instead of fermenting, we will use equal parts of water and vinegar for that tangy pickle flavor.
The flavors can be changed to your preferences by adding: sliced jalapeños, peppercorns, mustard seeds, peeled whole cloves of garlic, or maybe coriander with pickled carrots. The radishes can also be switched out for thinly sliced red onions or carrots. My favorite flavor combination so far is adding a sliced jalapeño. The vinegar brine mellows out the spiciness of the chili and just adds flavor to the crisp peppery radishes.
The pickled radishes perk up vegetable sushi bowls, tacos, and sandwiches with their tangy punch without overpowering the dish. I add them to my homemade vegetable sushi bowls right before I serve them, they add a nice contrast with their vinegary brine. Also, the pop of color is very appealing, since we eat with our eyes first. The pigment from the radishes will dye the brine pink so the entire radish will turn completely pink.
How to Make Quick Pickled Radishes
Bring equal parts vinegar and water to a boil with the sugar and salt. Then lower to a simmer to dissolve the granules. This will take about 3-5 minutes. Use a glass container for the radishes since you’ll be pouring hot liquid into them.
Slice the radishes thinly so they’ll soak up the liquid quicker. Place the radishes and any additional flavor component in a glass jar, then using a ladle pour the brine over the vegetables. Let the jars cool to room temperature, then store them in the refrigerator with the lid on.
The pickled radishes are ready once they’ve cooled, but I think they taste better after sitting in the pickling brine all night. They'll keep for at least a few weeks in the refrigerator.
Quick Pickled Radishes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Step by step instructions on how to make quick-pickled radishes with only five simple ingredients.
- 8 ounces radishes sliced thinly
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- A pinch of crushed red pepper
- Slice off the tops and bottoms of the radishes, then thinly slice them.
- Next, add the radishes to a glass jar with any flavor components you're using.
- Add the vinegar, water, salt, and maple syrup/sugar to a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. This will take about 3-5 minutes, once dissolved remove from heat.
- Using a ladle pour the hot liquid into the jar with the radishes.
- Let cool to room temperature and store in the refrigerator with the jar lid on, they’ll keep for weeks.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad, Snack
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick pickling vegetables, no fermenting pickling
Leave a Reply