Simple vegan vegetable fried rice made with frozen vegetables and brown rice. The recipe calls for cooked leftover rice, it really does taste better with cold rice than freshly made warm rice. I’ve been making this easy meal for years and it has slowly changed to what it is now. So I guess you could say my family has been my recipe testers long before I had the blog. I don’t think they’re complaining.
If the rice is prepared in advance, then this recipe turns into a quick weeknight meal that you can throw together very easily. When I plan to have this on an easy cooking night I cook the rice at least one day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Leftover rice soaks up the soy sauce better than freshly-made warm rice. The brown rice can also be cooked in advance and frozen, just pull it out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator the day before you need it. Having all the ingredients ready to go makes it easy to throw it all in a pan and you’ll have a delicious dinner ready in a snap!
Tip for Preserving Fresh Ginger
If you buy fresh ginger and don’t use all of it before it goes bad, it can be frozen. A microplane or small box grater will be needed to grate the ginger since it can’t be sliced while frozen. If you prefer peeled ginger then peel it before freezing it, this will make it easier for future usage. Then just freeze the entire root in a freezer-safe bag. When needed pull it out and use a microplane to grate the needed amount into the dish, no need to thaw.
I hope you enjoy this simple vegan vegetable fried rice recipe!
Easy vegan vegetable fried rice for a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger (grated)
- 14–16 oz frozen vegetable mix (peas, corn, green beans, and carrots)
- 8 oz frozen shelled edamame
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (best if made in advance)
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Sautee the onion for a minute then add the crushed garlic and grated ginger.
- Add a tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time if the onion starts to stick.
- When the onions are translucent add the frozen vegetable mix and frozen beans. Cook until no longer frozen.
- Lower the heat and add the cooked brown rice and the soy sauce. Stir together so the rice can heat up and soak up the soy sauce.
- Stir occasionally for the rice to absorb the soy sauce.
- It’s done when the rice has warmed up and soaked up the soy sauce.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: How to make vegan fried rice, vegetable fried rice, oil-free fried rice