Chipotle inspired cilantro lime brown rice! It’s actually really easy to put together using all whole food plant-based ingredients. Adding fresh cilantro and lime juice adds a burst of flavor to plain brown rice.
How to Make Easy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
Make the brown rice according to its package instructions. When the rice is done keep it covered, turn off the heat, and let it rest undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. Keeping the lid on will keep the rice warm. Then fluff with a fork. After resting, add the lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and chopped fresh cilantro to the cooked rice. Stir well to combine. That’s it! Your outcome is flavorful brown rice, perfect for tacos or burrito bowls. Now you have a filling dinner and the leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
Tips for Cooking Rice
- Use a heavy bottom pot to cook rice to prevent the bottom from scorching.
- Use a tight-fitting lid to prevent liquid from leaking out, that liquid is needed for your rice.
- Brown rice is generally 2:1 ratio for the liquid to rice for cooking on the stovetop, but check your package and cook according to the package instructions.
- Once the rice comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. The rice doesn’t need to be stirred while simmering so resist the temptation and keep it covered. Otherwise, you're letting out heat that’s needed for cooking.
- When the rice is done, keep the lid on, turn off the burner, and let the rice rest undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. This lets the moisture redistribute and helps with a fluffier texture.
- After letting the rice rest, fluff with a fork or rice paddle.
- The garlic powder likes to stick together when it hits the warm brown rice. To fix this, the brown rice can be stirred well to mix it in or you can put the lime juice, salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl, whisk together, then add it to the rice. Add the cilantro separately because it clumps when added to the lime juice mixture.
- Add the ingredients after cooking, otherwise, the delicate cilantro herb will wilt from the heat, and the fresh lime juice flavor will diminish with cooking.
- Use 3 tablespoons of lime juice for a more pronounced lime flavor.
What to Use Cilantro and Lime Brown Rice For?
- Use it in a chickpea vegetable rice bowl recipe
- Use it in a burrito bowl instead of Mexican inspired rice
- Use it as a side to walnut lentil tacos, simple refried beans, or refried bean taquitos
- Use in a taco bowl recipe
- Serve cilantro lime rice with black beans and corn for a super simple meal
- Add it to burritos
- Make a vegetable rice bowl with beans, greens, fresh vegetables, salsa (or pico de Gallo), vegan sour cream (or cashew lime crema), and diced avocado (or guacamole).
I hope you enjoy the cilantro lime brown rice recipe!
More Brown Rice RecipesPrint
Chipotle inspired cilantro lime brown rice! Adding fresh cilantro and lime juice adds a burst of flavor to plain brown rice.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons packed of chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions.
- When the rice is done, turn off the heat, keep the lid on, and let the rice rest for 10-15 minutes.
- When the rice is done and still warm, fluff the rice using a fork.
- Then add the lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and chopped fresh cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: how to make chipotle cilantro lime rice, flavorful brown rice, cilantro lime rice with cooked rice, cilantro lime rice with black beans and corn