I came up with this simple recipe for apple cinnamon oatmeal one morning when I didn’t have any bananas for breakfast and I’m not a fan of raw apples in my oatmeal. Chop the apples into small bite-size pieces so they cook with the oatmeal in the microwave. Then outcomes a delightfully baked apple for breakfast. I included a chopped date to add a little sweetness, but a dash of maple syrup would also work. The lemon juice will add a little tartness but can be left out. A dash of cinnamon for some flavor and almost warming effect. Top with some ground flaxseed for your daily dose of omega-3 fats. Then chopped walnuts or pecans for a little crunch.
For this recipe, I used a Honey-crisp apple, but any kind will work. A Granny Smith apple would be a nice touch and it would make the dish a little more tart. Just use your favorite apple or what's on sale. With this recipe, it only takes a few minutes to have a warm healthy breakfast for those cool crisp fall mornings.
If you enjoy quick and healthy microwave oatmeal for breakfast I also have a cinnamon raisin oatmeal recipe on my blog.
Allie’s note= how long it takes to cook will vary depending on your microwave and your desired consistency.
I hope you enjoy the apple cinnamon oatmeal!
More Oatmeal Recipes
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Simple Overnight Oats
- Mango Overnight Oats
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bars
- Blueberry Walnut Baked Oatmeal Cups
Healthy and simple apple cinnamon oatmeal that tastes like apple pie.
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 apple (diced)
- 1 date (diced) (optional)
- ¾ cup plant-based milk or water
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 6 pecans or walnuts halves (chopped)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dice the apple small enough to cook in the microwave and dice the date (if using) small enough to get lots of little bits throughout the oatmeal.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine the oats, diced apple, diced date, lemon juice, and plant-based milk.
- Heat in the microwave for about 2-2.5 minutes. Times will vary depending on your microwave and your desired consistency for the oatmeal.
- Let it cool for at least a minute in the microwave.
- Add the ground flaxseed, a dash of cinnamon, and the chopped pecans or walnuts. If you used water add a splash of milk after cooking to make it creamy.
- Stir to combine and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: microwave oatmeal